Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I remember Wang Wordprocessors



Todays lecture touched on quite a few subjects that brought back memories of how exciting it was in the late 70's and early 80's as the new computer technology was emerging. I thought back then that IBM golf ball typewriters, and wang wordprocessors were high tech. (Shows my age) I remember, I begged my boss to get me my first desk top computer it was called an IBM PC which ran MS DOS and had 20mb hard disk drive. In those days I had to learn dos language to do most tasks. It was very exciting - writing dos code to play music which was single note tones. I was lucky my job allowed me to spend lots of time in front of that screen playing and learning. In those days I had to learn about ASCII and basic to use a computer. It was fun. Now all the technobabble has gone and we have gui's which certainly makes it easier and of course opens up our interactive world to different formats.


Before I had internet at work we communicated between businesses by telex and when personal telex machines were installed they would print out the telex ribbons down in the telex room where the men would feed the ribbons (paper tapes with holes punched into them) into the transmitter. It was fast communication then maybe a couple of hours to send a telex to Tokyo and receive a reply to Sydney, that was an urgent telex. Now an email is almost instantaneous anywhere in the world. Unless there is a problem with the server.

Today our family uses email, msn, skype, webcam, mobile phones, we all have laptops connected by wireless, we watch youtube, avi’s, mpegs, wmv’s over our network, use the computer as our stereo or plug the mp3 player into the speakers. We have a PlayStation 2 and Nintendo Wii consoles, which are connected wirelessly to the internet. We also play games like Counterstrike on our computers over our home network, with 4 or 5 players in various rooms of the house.

No comments: